Since the beginning of February, I have been aching to bake banana bread. Last Sunday, I finally had the time and all of the necessary ingredients to make it happen.
If you're friends with me on facebook, you have probably figured out that this banana bread turned out so well, I had trouble not eating it all at once. It turned out so nutty and very flavourful.
I made this banana bread dairy-free, but it still has eggs and flour, if you care about that kind of thing!
I adapted this recipe from Canada's 150 Best Diabetes Desserts and I will list all of the dietary information after the recipe!
Banana Walnut Bread
Makes 20 half-slices (1 half-slice per serving)
What you need:
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed. I keep a container of frozen SUPER RIPE bananas in my freezer, to be used in smoothies and such. I ended up nuking two of them for this recipe, but if I was more patient, I would have just let them sit out for a couple of hours to defrost.
- 1/2 coconut oil, softened
- 1/2 raw or brown sugar. I may have only used 1/4 cup. I can't remember now. :S
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white. (I feel weird about using only egg whites. I bought a carton of egg whites specifically for this recipe. What do they do with the yolks?)
- 1 and 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup hot water
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Spray or line with parchment paper a loaf pan, young jedi
- Beat bananas with coconut oil. Beat in sugar, whole egg, and egg white until fluffy
- In another bowl, combine flour, walnuts, baking soda, and salt
- Stir in banana mixture along with hot water just until blended
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan
- Bake for 35 to 45 min (Mine took exactly 35 min!) or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean
Some back story:
In January, I signed up to do the Sporting Life 10k here in Toronto on May 11th. With the early registration, I received a $35 gift card for Sporting Life. The catch with the gift card was that it had an early expiry date, February 15th. On the evening of February 14th, I was so determined not to lose my $35 that I decided to buy something online. The only thing I could afford was a (clearance) sports bra. So I got it.
Fast forward to today, when I just received a package in the mail! Hurray, sports bra!
This Vogue magazine has been haunting my living room since September. I bought it for kicks, read through it once, and instantly felt horrible about myself. I won't go into detail. Today, I decided to destroy it.
Sorry Ralph Lauren.
"She's Sporty. She's Sexy. She's ..."
So many strips of vapid paper!
I decided to try out my weaving skills.
It was hard to figure out what to do with this awesome thing.