Since the beginning of February, I have been aching to back banana bread. Last Sunday, I finally had the time and all of the necessary ingredients to make it happen.
If you're friends with me on facebook, you have probably figured out that this banana bread turned out so well, I had trouble not eating it all at once. It turned out so nutty and very flavourful.
I made this banana bread dairy-free, but it still has eggs and flour, if you care about that kind of thing!
I adapted this recipe from Canada's 150 Best Diabetes Desserts and I will list all of the dietary information after the recipe!
Banana Walnut Bread
Makes 20 half-slices (1 half-slice per serving)
What you need:
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed. I keep a container of frozen SUPER RIPE bananas in my freezer, to be used in smoothies and such. I ended up nuking two of them for this recipe, but if I was more patient, I would have just let them sit out for a couple of hours to defrost.
- 1/2 coconut oil, softened
- 1/2 raw or brown sugar. I may have only used 1/4 cup. I can't remember now. :S
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white. (I feel weird about using only egg whites. I bought a carton of egg whites specifically for this recipe. What do they do with the yolks?)
- 1 and 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup hot water
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Spray or line with parchment paper a loaf pan, young jedi
- Beat bananas with coconut oil. Beat in sugar, whole egg, and egg white until fluffy
- In another bowl, combine flour, walnuts, baking soda, and salt
- Stir in banana mixture along with hot water just until blended
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan
- Bake for 35 to 45 min (Mine took exactly 35 min!) or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean
- Cool in pan for 5 min
- Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack
Per 1 serving:
If you use butter instead of coconut oil: