Friday 15 June 2012

Tie Dye Tank Top

This week I had some time on my hands, so I decided to experiment with a craft. I'd seen DIYs about tie dying with permanent markers and rubbing alcohol, and I really wanted to try it. But first, I sewed this tank top from some white cotton stretch knit.


I didn't use a pattern; I litterally traced around a shirt I already own to get the shape. It was quick and easy!



I used my jumbo ruler to trace out some line guides, so that I had some sort of idea if I was drawing straight across or not for the stripes. 


Then, using permanent markers, I coloured in a random pattern of stripes. I have a plastic bag in the shirt, protecting the back from getting any marker that bleeds through. NOTE: Black markers don't bleed very well, and I should have used a different colour looking back now.


Using a big eye dropper, (I got mine at a pharmacy in the section where you can get things to help kids take medicine. It was cheap) squirted rubbing alcohol all over the shirt. As you can see, I have a bag between the two layers of shirt, as the ink will bleed right through to the back if you do not!  I also have a garbage bag underneath everything because I was doing this outside. (I would have used newspaper, but I didn't have one!)


The finished product! I used a blow dryer on "hot" to "heat set" the ink, so hopefully it won't fade away if I wash it. Other options for heat setting is to stick it in they dryer for a while. I don't have a free dryer, so hair dryer it was!


My computer took this picture by accident and I thought it was funny!


Here is the back: 


You can see on the bottom left that a bit of marker leaked through :(


A close up of the blended colours.

And that's it! What do you think of this DIY shirt? Does it look too homemade, or can I actually wear this out this summer? I like it, and I think I'm going to wear it to the beach this weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Wow!This is really good and outstanding in color and design.Tie dye tank tops are good in design on Got apparel wholesale rate to shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is often good to receive style tips like yours.
    @paquetevistasbi

    ReplyDelete